Thursday, October 13, 2011

Spinach and Orzo Salad

I made my mom hungry when I told her about this salad.  I made baby back ribs last night and served them with this salad, that I adapted from allrecipes.com 

Spinach and Orzo Salad

8-16 ounces uncooked orzo pasta  (the recipe called for 16, I used 8.  That way it's more spinach) 
9 ounce bag fresh baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 cup pine nuts
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup balsamic vinegar 
 (Since the original recipe called for 16 ounces of orzo and 1/2 cup oil and vinegar and I used 8 orzo, I could have cut it back a little on the O&V but I used the whole 1/2 cup of each and although it was strong it was delicious)

Cook orzo according to directions.  Drain and rinse with cold water.  Transfer to large bowl and stir in spinach, feta, onion, pine nuts, basil, and white pepper.  Toss with oil and vinegar.  Refrigerate and serve cold. 

This makes a ton.  We had dinner and lunch today.  Delicious as a side dish and would also be good with shrimp or chicken to make a main course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment