Saturday, May 14, 2011

I seriously have the Best Friends Ever!

Aly is one of those friends who would go to the ends of the world to be there for a friend.  I met her through The Nest and I am so happy to know her.  She's a spunky little Phillie who really takes the time to get to know people and give whatever she can.  Today she brought me CUPCAKES!!!  And let me tell you these weren't just your average cupcakes.  They are from Sugardarlings and they are fluffy little heaven cakes with angel halos of delicious frosting.  I think I might need another one soon.  I was so excited when she got here I dug in immediately before taking a pic, so it's missing a red velvet and a strawberry cheesecake.  But you can probably imagine... YUMMMM!
I already polished of the vanilla one in the front also, and I am dying to dig into the others but am going to pace myself... 

So after Aly left I checked the mail and one of my oldest friends had sent me a package!!  Nancy was my PEN PAL when I was just a little thing.  I don't know, maybe 12 years old?  She lived in the great wide open state Texas, where everything is bigger, and I lived in the middle of the woods in a cozy tiny village in the mountains of upstate NY, waaaay upstate.  Canada basically.   So one day I just had an urge to talk to my pen pal instead of writing to her, so I called information and told them her last name and her street address and they told me what her phone # is.  I called her without my parents knowing and talked to her mother for an hour.   Her mother invited me to visit their home in Texas and after months of begging my parents and leaving notes in their pockets, purse, wallet, shoes, cars, etc, and after both sets of parents checked references on each other, we decided that my parents were going to let me go!  So I was leaving on a jet plane!  I got to spend a week in TX with Nancy and her beautiful family.  They made me feel like I was home.  They made me a video and mailed it to me before I left so I already had an idea of what their town was like, what their home was like, and what everyone really looked like.  They left half of the VHS tape blank and I brought it with me in my suitcase and we filled it up when I was there.  What a wonderful family!  Then following summer Nancy came to NY and got to stay with me and my mom, and them me and my dad.  And then I went back with her to Texas for my second stay with the G Family.  Fast forward twenty something years to now, and we are both grown and married women.   Nancy is a mother and I am finally going to be also, and although we don't talk as much as we used to, we will always have that special bond that two girls have who spent hour after hour and nights and weeks staying up until all times of the night just talking in the dark about everything.  I got my first taste of adventure when I got on that plane to visit my friend, and also made a friendship that I will cherish forever.  So among an awesome card and a couple of handwritten notes to explain each book and why she chose it, she sent me 2 books that were most helpful to her when she had her son Jacob.  Nancy has always been a smart girl, and she is a natural mother so I absolutely can not wait to dive into these books.  What a great day!

I love that the 2nd book is titled The Happiest Baby on the Block because what brought Nancy and I together in the first place was our undying love for New Kids on the Block!  I loved (what am I saying loved... I still love!!!) the bad boy Donnie, and Nancy was one of the few who chose the sweet and most unassuming, Jonathan.   We were (what am I saying were... we still are!!!) so awesome :)

So tonight it is just me and the pups and the couch, with a good book and an occasional cupcake :)

 I am seriously blessed!

3 comments:

  1. Wow - my books seem lame when I see those cupcakes!!

    Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol no way girl! I was so dang excited when I saw those books I couldn't believe it :) It was pretty much the most awesome surprise ever and I loooove books! (although I am afraid to admit, there is a cupcake in my kitchen screaming for me! I'm going to make it wait though) evil little cupcake! I think I'm already showing at 8 weeks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So long ago...so many beautiful memories!!! Love ya!
    Mommagroom

    ReplyDelete