Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday Funday!

While most average American worker bees have a distaste for Monday, Monday Funday is usually my day off and I like it!  It's a good day to catch up on banking, shopping and errands.  It's a good day to spend some time around the house.  There are 2 great classes at the gym that evening.  And nothing you eat contains any calories on Monday.  (well OK, that part is not true, but I digress) 
It has been a fun week and I have missed the boat on blogging about all of it!  On Wednesday I had my transition meeting at Dr Garcia's and found out that my new maintenance plan is going to be The Zone Diet.  Easy enough.  I just need to learn to find the time to eat more often than I normally do in order to stay in "the zone" which from what I understand means your glycemic index is at just the right level to naturally mimic the effects of aspirin.  So while I was reading the many handouts they so graciously handed me to help me figure out how to stay so gorgeous and slim, I had a plumber come by to give us a quote on our leaky water heater (we have an unintentional heated tile floor in the kitchen).  Come to find out we have galvanized plumbing that is 43 years old and we need to re pipe the entire house.  This quote was for 5,900, without permits.  Needless to say, after that I needed to see some good people and have a good time.  So I took a power nap, and that evening I had the extreme pleasure of attending the Lauryn Hill concert at The Ritz with my friends Lisa and Carolyn.  We all met up at The Bricks in Ybor and had delicious food and great conversation before the show.  We rocked out to the opening DJ playing hip hop hits from East Coast to West for about an hour and a half.  Then L-Boogie took the stage and it was a great vibe from the crowd.  She put on a good show, despite the sound problems and the big baggy clothes she seemed to be hiding under.  Lisa Carolyn and I cut it up and had a blast!  Maybe we had a little too much fun because I was regretting the extra glass (plastic cup) of wine the next morning, but it was worth it! 

Thursday and Friday were a mixture of work and relaxation/recuperation.  I also got to check out one of my nephew's baseball games.  He is the only freshman playing on the varsity team at Alonso HS.  I've been told he is only the 3rd freshman to play on varsity since the school was founded in 2001.  My nephew Wyatt Reid is Something Special  and has been my idol since he was born.  Watching him grow up and become such a respectful young man has been one of the happiest parts of my life.  (BTW, the game I got to see on Friday ended 11-2 good guys:) 

Saturday I used my Groupon to go to the beach and enjoy kayak + yoga = kayoga  with CarolynJena, and Jenny.   For lack of a cooler word here, it was awesome!!!  The paddle from Tierra Verde was the toughest paddle I remember doing, mainly because I could just not master the art of a strait line.  (I'll blaming it on the particular vessel and current, not the paddler, naturally, but if I'd paused from paddling for just a moment to adjust my sunglasses my boat would do a strange 180 degree rotation).  But I was there for a workout so I wasn't disappointed.  There were lots of fish and stingrays and birds and the weather was perfect for being on the water.  The destination was Shell Key.  I enjoyed a ferry trip there in 1994 when I traveled from the snowy north to the sunshiny south for spring break.  It was beautiful to see that little has changed in the 16 years it's been.  The island is only accessible by boat.  It boasts excellent overnight camping sites, and  an ideal place to day trip and collect large lovely shells.  It is a beautiful place to practice yoga, and while we were in warrior 1 position we even had a visit from a friendly manatee!  I loved the trip and I wish I could afford to go every single week of my life. 

Sunday was back to work and Monday is "prepare the house for the plumbers visit" day.  I have cleaned out under all the sinks and scrubbed the bathtubs and toilets so when they are busting up the walls they know what a wonderful housekeeper I am.  We will have 2 plumbers here, who I happen to have known through work for many years, over for 3-4 days to re pipe.  (and by the way, this much more awesome plumbing company will only be charging us 3,299 including permits and tax!!!)  So not the end of the world.  This venture is making us one step closer to really "making the house ours".  There will be 10 holes in the wall to patch afterwards so I will take advantage of this opportunity to replace the ugly towel hangers in the bathrooms.  I've been procrastinating that project and also painting the rooms since that will require filling in the holes first.  Now I will do it.   Bright sides.  Focus on the positives!  (sometimes it requires a little more effort than others). 

This week will be busy, as I have had to pick up a couple of extra shifts to help pay for this debacle.  So the blogging may slow down.  (Ha, I'm the slowest blogger ever already.)  So in the meantime I will leave you with some shots of some of my Zone Diet friendly snacks I've been having lately.  Wait for it....  OK!

Hummus, endive and Wasa cracker
Chickpea and cabbage salad with tuna and veggies

Nonfat vanilla Chobani Greek Yogurt with honey, blueberries and strawberries

Whew, that was enough to make me want to skip the gym and hit the kitchen to do some more healthy cooking, and since it is raining buckets right now, I think I might do that exactly!  I have some chipotle in adobo begging me to use it up!  Maybe I'll take a picture... :)  Thanks for reading and Have a great week!


1 comment:

  1. I'm ready for our next outing... less cheap wine though. We had FUN this past week!

    ReplyDelete