Saturday, April 30, 2011

Introspection

On Thursday I gave up my shift at work and I took my bike out to Wilderness Park alone for the first time.  I was afraid to go too far because I have not yet learned the skill of changing a flat (I have the tube and Brian has the tools but I still need to learn to do it myself) and I didn't want to have to walk the bike back more than a few miles, so I did a total of 14 miles that included and out and back of 6 miles on the loop with a side trip of the out and back trail Panther which I have been a little curious about.  I read a review of Panther from a hiker about what a nice view of a pond there is, so I thought it would be a nice relaxing photogenic spot for me to spend an afternoon alone (something I don't do often enough as I get older but used to do every day as a kid)
The view didn't disappoint.  There were lost of water birds skimming the water and playing and no boars, so that was good.   (I passed quite a few "boar holes" and after seeing the 5 boars a few weeks ago, they make me a little nervous).  After taking in the scenery for a few minutes I finished the rest of Panther and was surprised to see the large roots and sharp turns jump out, and especially while I was working on speed.  It doesn't take more than a second of hesitation before one has their first crash.  I then quickly realized that it is more of a jumping exercise on this trail than speed and lines, and I got to use my 29s for what they were made for.  The large roots were so much easier to navigate with my new bike.  This is because of a combonation of the wheels and my RockShox suspension fork I'm sure, and now I'm a little more skilled with placement on the bike also. 

There were a series of roots at the end that would have been a good picture, but they were so much fun going over that I never did take a pic of them.  I did take a pic of the sign when I reached the end of the trail, because I was surprised it was marked as "very difficult" since there is no indication from the end I entered from. 
Go me though :)  I only crashed once and it was only because I hesitated (and didn't come off my pedals on time...ugh) so I decided from then on there would be no hesitation.  I've got this.  There is no reason I can't.  Once I got back on the familiar main loop I again focused on lines and speed.  I was on my way back and feeling very confident when I took an incline in the exact worse spot I could have.  I got the front tire over the dirt wall but the back tire got hung up because I lost momentum, and I went down.  I should have taken a pic of it after, but I was afraid I had hurt my wrist (which I need to bartend) so I quickly pedaled back to the car (one handed).  It was sore on the drive all the way home, but not long after I ate lunch it was fine again, thank god.  I need it, I've got to shake those martinis and make that money! 
In the parking lot after my ride and while I was loading up my bike, a couple guys heading out rode over and chatted.  They asked how the trails are today to which I replied "Great!".  I know it is not recommended that females go out alone, but I really enjoyed it.  I liked going at my own pace, stopping to snap a pic if I want, and working on my own skills without trying to keep up.  I liked the meditation part of thinking my own thoughts on my own time at my own pace, and being in touch with my body and my safety being in no ones hands but my own, without a computer in front of me or being involved in a conversation (both of which I enjoy also very much).   I also enjoyed falling and picking myself back up without the security of another being there.  I won't go out alone very ofter, but every now and then I think it can be a good thing.   After a quick chat with the other bikers about the mosquitoes and the trail conditions, the 2 guys quickly complimented my bike and rode off and once again, I fell in love with her.  She is so awesome!  I need a name for her.  Do people normally name their bikes?  My sister thinks the name should have something to do with flowers because the frame is lilac and it has petals/"pedals", get it?  But flowers are girly and my bike is bad ass so I need something fitting.
Monday Brian and I are headed to Balm Boyette for our first time.  Planning on doing Ridgeline.  I've been warned that it is very easy to get lost, so I'm planning on it.  I'll fill my Camelbak to the top and pack a few snacks.  A few guys Brian works with want to come along so that should be fun.  They are new to the sport and it is super fun to not be the newest on a trail :)  Then we are going to hit up Macys for their Friends and Family sale.  We have a wedding in August and Brian needs a new suit and I need a dress.  We have lost over 50 lbs between the 2 of us, so some new duds are in line!
Life is good.  I write this as I watch the coverage on CNN about the tornado recovery in Alabama and Tennessee.  Some stories are sad like the one of the man with his teenager son who pointed out where his family and friends bodies were found.  Some stories are uplifting like the ones of people pulling together and helping each other out doing what they can where they can, fulfilling that sense of community that seems to be fading as the world keeps changing.  There is so much tragedy and so much beauty in this world.  It reminds me that no moment in time should ever be taken for granted.  Tell someone you love them today.

No comments:

Post a Comment